25 July 2006

I'm a great fan of SOCRATES...are u?

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a
little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."


"Triple filter?"

"That's right." Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say. That's why I call it the
triple filter test.


The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell
me is true?"


"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and....................."

"All right." said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's
try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about
my friend something good?"


"No...... on the contrary............... ."


"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're
not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter
left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to
be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good
nor even useful, why tell it to me at all".


This seriously makes me think...i think each one of us shld actually think bfore
we talk...theres smthng calld 'quality time' and 'quality talk'

we need'nt actuallly spend hours talking... but the few minutes we talk shld be useful/helpful/informative to others...
y not put in to practise frm now on....

They say 'a person who does many gud things to d society and is not always remembered for it...but one mistake from the very same person....volumes is spoken and it spread like wild fire'

why?
why is it that ... few ppl choose to talk abt the bad stuff rather thn d gud ones.....y do few ppl choose to remember/recollect repeatedly the ones which r not so pleasent..

i wonder if anyone cld answer it......hmmmmmmm.....

now this takes me to another Q : " how good is considered to be good...and how bad is really considered to be bad"...shall pen down more on this in the next blog!

5 comments:

Haritha said...

It also explains why he never found out that Plato was having an affair with his wife. ;);)

Aradhya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aradhya said...

"I drank what? - Socrates.
(technically he wasn't exactly amused when he said that, but still) :)

Anonymous said...

rofl @ WnG; dint know that!

Anonymous said...

should we be so critical and make life with no fun ( I mean only gossip is fun for 99% of people. Rest 1% only lie. Its relaxing).

Yeha111 Leave it!!